Admittedly, giving nutrition lectures to parents who let their kids wolf down curly cheese fries on a regular basis may just fall on deaf ears. But for those open to improving their child’s report card, a new observational study conducted at Oxford University in England, discovered that low blood Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) levels led to behavior, reading and memory problems. DHA is one of the now famous Omega-3 fatty acids that we have learned are a key component for coronary health. And the researchers indicated that the more omega-3s consumed – in particular DHA — the better the student.
Very briefly — I’ll spare you the flow chart –samples taken through the first-ever finger stick test administered to children in the U.K. revealed that they had on average blood fatty acid levels of 1.90 percent of DHA and 0.55 percent of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) with a total of 2.46 percent combined DHA and EPA omega-3 fatty acids. This is well below the minimum of 4 percent recommended to maintain cardiovascular health in adults.